Watercolor Painting Landscapes For Beginners
Watercolor Painting Landscapes For Beginners
By Award Winning Artist I Paint Complete Landscape Scenes I Winter I Spring I Summer I Autumn
I’d say that he is a patient teacher and a very effective communicator. He is also organized and gets to the point so you have more time to learn. He is also funny which makes the class more fun. Time just flew by because he showed passion in his art and it was obvious when he taught. – Suzie Ang
Have you always wanted to paint a landscape scene?
Landscape painting can be seen as
taking small, individual activities
and putting them together into one complete painting.
Now how do we put it all together?
The big secret to painting landscapes
is not how much you need to know,
but what you need to know, first
and I’m here to teach you.
WHO AM I?
Hey there! Broderick here and I paint in watercolor professionally,
from simple character designs, to realism, to fun art, even fine art pieces hanging in Museums in Europe.
- I’ve been a featured artist for a major art supply chain (Youtube: “urban sketching broderick wong”)
- Social media loves my quirky watercolor pet portraits (Google: “vancouver is awesome broderick wong”)
- Placed first in live watercolor painting competitions (2016 Harmony Festival Plein Air Champion ; 2018 Grand Prix Plein Air Masters Division Champion)
- The Fabriano InAcquarello 2020, an international watercolor painting conference hosted in Italy,invited me to do an online painting demonstration as an international artist. (Google: “inarte fabriano 2020 brod wong”)
- I’m also the creator of two popular and highly rated watercolor courses here on Udemy, including my best-selling Watercolor Painting for Beginners.
In this course, I’ll show you how to put together a complete scene using the basic techniques, properly.
WHY LEARN FROM ME?
When I felt I knew enough, I wanted to paint EVERYTHING, from landscapes to animals, to portraits and urban scenes, but I quickly realized that every 1 step I took forward, I took 4 steps back. It was such a strange, unusual experience which made me rethink how I had been painting. I ruined many watercolor paintings trying to paint in a different style. I experienced many happy accidents, but didn’t know how to recreate them successfully. I persevered and took a handful of workshops and, over a brief period, I realized that there are levels to watercolors!
Fast forward to today, if I could have kick-started a path to success for myself to follow, to learn watercolor painting quicker without making so many mistakes, what would that look like? Through my experience in teaching myself and others, I have found the one thing that unlocks the full potential of watercolors and it is with this awareness that I present to you:
Watercolor Painting Landscapes For Beginners
Broderick’s personality to teach made the learning enjoyable. It was not about how good he was an artist but how we can achieve what he was showing us to accomplish a finished painting. The technique was simple, easy to follow and not hard to comprehend. Broderick is inspirational and “YES” Watercolour Essentials is the WAY TO GO!!! – April Lee
WHO IS THIS FOR?
If you’re comfortable with the basic rules of watercolor, or if you’ve taken both my foundational courses, Watercolor Painting for Beginners and Watercolor Painting Beginner Next Level Techniq ues and Effects,
then this is for you.
READY TO PAINT DIFFERENTLY AND DIVE INTO SOMETHING NEW?
THE PROBLEMS WITH LEARNING
Now there can be a long list of rules theories and concepts to know and study and there are courses out there that either give too much technical information without relevant exercises, or they don’t tell or show you enough and you still have to figure it out on your own.
I will share with you my secret, I will teach you how to “see”, like an artist first.
I have found the most critical piece of learning for you to start with. This is the foundation that I believe you need to know first, before knowing everything else. Think of a cube, with velcro attached to all sides. Any piece of information you continue to learn after, will “stick” with you longer, because you will have a strong point of reference that you can
- You will learn the 4 zones to help you know what to paint first, what to paint next, and what to paint last
in a landscape scene.
- Then, I’ll show you how to apply the basics , differently to create the illusion of depth and distance, glassy watery reflections, or a multi-coloured sky,
- You will learn how to mix different color combinations, with only a few colors.
- You will be painting 4 different scenes, each representing the 4 seasons: painting a winter, spring, summer and an autumn
- You will learn how I paint thin, fine lines to create tree branches
- This course includes everything that I teach in my live Wet On Wet workshops, ($260 total value) If you’ve taken different watercolour painting courses before but still have a hard time putting all your learning together into one complete painting, my Watercolor Painting Landscapes For Beginners course can help.
1) SHORT LASER-FOCUSED LESSONS
My live watercolor painting workshops have given me the opportunity to target and isolate very specific challenges about the painting process,
from a learner’s point of view, and then break them down into short laser-focused lessons.
I found that these challenges are multi-layered and overlapping,
making it difficult to know where to begin.
This is why you may feel you’re taking 1 step forward and 4 steps back.
My Watercolor Painting Landscapes For Beginners course peels away those layers,
then simplifies them into short focused lessons,
allowing you to learn only what you need to know at that time, to get you to the next level.
Succeeding lessons will have their own short, focused sessions that gradually build on top of the previous.
2) LEARN WITHOUT THE INFORMATION OVERLOAD
● I’ve distilled traditional art theory & practice into their fundamental essence
● I use easy to understand language (aka no artsy fartsy terminologies)
● I thoughtfully produce my material and content: Straight to the point. No extra fluff.
3) SEQUENTIAL LEARNING
The way information is presented, oddly enough, has an enormous impact on what you learn,
how fast you learn and how you apply it. (Sometimes whether you learn at all!)
I designed this course to build new information on top of what you already know. Think Lego.
● New lessons introduce new techniques & reinforce what you learned in previous lessons
● Lessons include carefully designed activities to match the skill level
● Lessons are concise but packed with only relevant information
“Thank you so much Broderick! This was a nice experience for me. I never knew I would fall in love with watercolour. I like the way you teach, it is easy to pick up and everything makes sense to me. Hoping to continue my journey with watercolour.” Joanne Whang
4) NO SECOND GUESSING!
Knowing differs from understanding.
Random tips and tricks are good for 1-time activities,
but have you tried painting something else after
and felt like it sent you straight back to kindergarten?
I’ve been there before. (A few times actually. Sigh.)
You need a stronger foundation to fall back on.
Understanding what you’re doing with your watercolor will take you much further.
● Too much control = Overworked, muddy paintings
● Too much spontaneity = One big-happy-accident-type-of-paintings
● Controlled spontaneity = Fresh, glowing, transparent paintings
5) LET GO OF THE FEAR OF STARTING
“I need to tidy up my work space”
“Those plants look like they need a little drink today”
“The cat needs…another bath!”
“I thought that I was more experienced than beginners but I found out that I had a lot to learn. It was very different from other classes I have taken. Yours focuses on each specific technique. I have to tell you that I learned these techniques better in your class. I also learned things that no one had told me before. In other classes I have taken they showed us some of these techniques but didn’t spend as much time on them. They spent more time painting. I really enjoyed learning these things and I felt a sense of accomplishment after mastering them. I think they will stay with me better.” ~ Chris Mclaren
6) HAVE FUN WHILE YOU LEARN!
There’s painting for fun, and then there’s painting to learn while having fun.
The course videos are professionally produced to educate and entertain.
This balance ensures a variety of presentations, instruction, humor and pacing!
● Painting for fun = Just playing with paints, there is not much technique to take away.
● Painting to learn = Heavy on theory and drills.
● Painting to learn while having fun equips you with what you need to know, right away, so you can enjoy the watercolor painting process more.
HOW ELSE CAN I HELP YOU?
I’m here to help you think like water.
The more you understand, the less uncertainty there is, the more excited you will be to paint.
You will first learn how to control your watercolor.
Then I’ll show you how to just let it do what it wants.
This is what I call, Controlled Spontaneity: A give and take between you and the watercolor.
You will learn how to use water, to do different wet on wet techniques, ones that are a far departure from beginner techniques.
“I liked the fun energy of each class with some laughter! The examples and what we could produce with each project gave excitement to the possibilities of each project! I loved learning all the different techniques and was super excited to learn another! The results of each project were simple enough to truly reach great results!” ~ Cynthia Cleator
Q1: I don’t have strong drawing skills, should I take a drawing class first?
You don’t need to know how to draw.
Since the focus of the lessons are about painting and not drawing,
I will teach you a quick and easy way to sketch (that even kids can do!)
so you can start painting right away.
Q2: I had done so little watercolour painting before and I quit from frustration. “What makes your course different from others?”
My course is professionally produced:
● All videos are shot in high definition
● Over the head shots showing my entire set up
● Close-up shots for color mixing
● Clear and consistent audio/commentary
● Combination of energetic and relaxed pacing
● Casual conversations vs. formal lectures
● Receive the information in small segments. No over explaining.
● Animation/Visual Cues to let you know where I want you to focus on
● Fun activities with new challenges in each lesson to build up technique and application
This is not your typical, traditional course.
My live watercolor painting workshops have allowed me to refine the lessons into what they are today,breaking down the watercolor process even more into its most essential concepts.
“I would describe it as a controlled, guided, step-by-step approach to the basics of doing watercolour, taught by an excellent artist, with a wonderful manner and people skills. Excellent refresher for those with some experience.” ~ Bruce Raber
Q3: Things are quite busy with work/kids/life. What if I don’t finish the lesson?
These lessons are available anytime you need them, wherever you are in the world.
Learn at your own pace as long as you have a computer and an internet connection.
So do you want to know how to paint differently, with the materials that you already have and paint breathtaking landscapes by the end of the course?
Then enroll now! Build your skills and finally paint complete scenes using color, with water.
I’ll see you inside.
“I went home yesterday excited about the watercolour painting we worked on in class and looked up different patterns I could draw out and paint for a mother’s day gift. A circle with flowers and ivy and thinking of putting the word Love in the middle for a nice gift for my mom. So I guess you can say you’ve inspired me to want to paint more! Thank you for that.” – Emma Atherton
Your demonstration is so detailed and easy to understand. The subjects you were creating for us to paint are also interesting and impressive as well. Now, I find a new way to paint watercolour and don’t panic anymore. – Alice Peng
Who this course is for:
- Beginner watercolor painters and enthusiasts
- Watercolor Painting for Beginner Graduates
- Watercolor Painting Beginner Next Level Techniques and Effect Graduates
- Know the basics of wet on dry and wet on wet painting
Last Updated 12/2020
Source : https://www.udemy.com/course/watercolor-painting-landscapes-for-beginners/