Would you like to:
- Understand punctuation to a professional level, with an understanding of all the major punctuation marks in English?
- Use commas, colons, semicolons and other punctuation marks accurately, precisely and stylishly?
- Master every aspect of English punctuation – to produce authoritative, error-free documents every time?
- Talk knowledgeably about even the most intricate aspects of punctuation in English?
- Gain clarity on the (often confusing) differences between UK and US punctuation?
- Be the go-to expert on English punctuation in your place of work?
- Punctuate with confidence so you can earn an income from professional writing, editing or proofreading?
If any of these apply to you, you need this comprehensive, professional-level punctuation course.
In this highly detailed punctuation course, you’ll learn how to master the intricacies of every major punctuation mark, including:
- Full stops/periods
- Brackets (both square and round)
- Inverted commas/quotation marks
- Question marks
- Exclamation marks
- Bullet points
If you’re looking for a superficial beginner’s guide to punctuation based on opinion rather than research, this is probably not the punctuation course for you.
However, if you want a professional-level punctuation course founded on extensive research into current usage, you’ll love this course.
Yes, the course covers the basics of English punctuation. But it also digs deep into the rules, principles and conventions of US and UK punctuation.
With Complete Punctuation: Novice To Pro you get a definitive guide to every aspect of English punctuation.
So this punctuation course is for you if you want to:
- Make a living from writing, editing or proofreading
- Access a life-time reference guide to punctuation that you can consult over and over again
- Benefit from detailed explanation of the rules and conventions for punctuation best practice
- Gain clarity on the (often confusing) differences between UK and US usage
HOW IS THIS COURSE DIFFERENT FROM OTHER PUNCTUATION COURSES?
With 65 lectures and at 3.5 hours long, Complete Punctuation: Novice To Pro offers a comprehensive guide to US and UK punctuation. The course also comes with a downloadable 60-page ebook, summarising the entire content of this punctuation course.
What’s more, as a professional copywriter, Dr Clare Lynch understands time is money. That’s why the most often used words in reviews of her courses are ‘clear’ and ‘concise’. So every lecture is punchy, pacey and packed with punctuation advice. Zero fluff. Zero padding. Zero repetition.
Just clear, concise well-researched content on the rules, principles and conventions of modern English punctuation.
And with Complete Punctuation: Novice To Pro, you won’t simply be bombarded with information about punctuation. You’ll also be encouraged to test and cement your understanding of all the principles taught. That’s why the course includes 24 quizzes and exercises – where you can put into practice everything you’ve learned about UK and US punctuation.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN IN THIS COMPREHENSIVE COURSE ON PUNCTUATION?
In this course, you’ll learn how to master best-practice for using all the major punctuation marks, including:
- How to use commas in lists, to join sentences and to bracket information
- Should you use the Oxford comma or not?
- The difference in comma usage between “which” and “that”
- Understanding the difference between cumulative and co-ordinating adjectives – and the implications for comma use
- How to use the “vocative” comma – in emails, for example
Punctuation: full stops/periods
- Using full stops/periods to avoid one of the most common punctuation errors – the comma splice
- Should you use full stops in titles, names and abbreviations?
- Should you use one space or two after a full stop?
- The two main uses of apostrophes – contraction and possession
- Is it 100s or 100’s, 1000s or 1000’s?
- How to use apostrophes correctly in names, places and dates
- Apostrophes in abbreviations
- How to use hyphens correctly in compound modifiers (describing phrases)
- How to avoid the most common hyphenation mistakes
- How to use hyphens with prefixes and suffixes
Punctuation: colons, semicolons and dashes
- How to use colons and semicolons accurately and appropriately
- Avoid the most common mistakes people make with colons and semicolons
- Correct use of dashes
- The differences between hyphens, en-dashes and em-dashes
- How to use round brackets correctly
- How to use other punctuation in conjunction with brackets
- Using square brackets to add editorial commentary to a text
Punctuation: inverted commas/quotation marks
- How to use commas/quotation marks to quote direct speech
- How to use commas/quotation marks with words and phrases
- Scare quotes – a pitfall to be aware of
- Typographical considerations: single or double, curly or straight?
Punctuation: question marks, exclamation marks and ellipses
- When to use a question mark – and when not to
- When to use an exclamation mark – and when not to
- When and how to use ellipses
BONUS CONTENT: Punctuation of bullet points
WHY SHOULD YOU CHOOSE THIS INSTRUCTOR?
Dr Clare Lynch has a PhD in English literature from the University of Cambridge, where she also now teaches writing skills. Earning her doctorate armed Clare with the advanced research skills she brings to this course.
As a result, Complete Punctuation: Novice to Pro is a definitive course founded on deep research into the rules, principles and conventions of current usage.
Clare is also a professional copywriter with 20+ years’ experience of helping big-name corporate clients get their messages across clearly, accurately, precisely and compellingly.
Clare is also a qualified and highly experienced corporate trainer and facilitator. So she’s been trained to communicate even the most complex, technical ideas in a way that’s clear, concise and memorable.
WHAT DO OTHER STUDENTS SAY ABOUT THIS PUNCTUATION COURSE?
So far I found it very interesting and useful. The lectures on colon and semicolon were very educative. I was confused how and when to use them, before. The lectures on apostrophe were detailed and I learnt a lot. The whole course was worth the time and effort. – V., Udemy student
Great course! I really enjoyed Clare’s sense of humor and, of course, her accent. I learned some things I never knew, even though I thought I knew a lot about this particular subject, so that’s great. And I love being tested on my knowledge with the quizzes at the end of each section. Definitely recommend this course and Clare to everyone who wants to learn more about punctuation. – Kelly, Udemy student
Excellent course for anyone looking to sharpen your punctuation. I thought I knew all there was found many tips and tricks to help be become a better writer. – Michael, Udemy student
The course handbook is worth its weight in gold! I would highly recommend this course to anyone wanting to have a no-nonsense punctuation course that is well organized, professional, and enjoyable. I consider it time well spent. – Carmen. Udemy student
The idea of using punctuation to create “meaning and music” really changed my perspective. It’s obvious that a great deal of research and thought went into the creation of this course, and I appreciate it. Thank you for including the ebook. I think it will be a valuable reference. – Kathryn, Udemy student
This course is so clear and concise in her explanations of every point in this course. Great examples and quizzes. Excellent course to take if you need to learn or relearn about punctuation. – Deborah, Udemy student
This course has exactly what I needed, I took an online course for punctuation before but it can’t be compared to this amazing course at all. This course is beneficial and interesting at the same time. – Shaden, Udemy student
Who this course is for:
- This comprehensive course will take you from beginner level to advanced professional
- This course can be used as a reference guide to replace books on punctuation
- This is a detailed course – it is not for people who want a quick-and-dirty guide to basic punctuation
- Professional proofreaders will find this course an invaluable reference guide to punctuation
- You should be able to read and write in English
- You should have a desire to master punctuation at a professional level
Last Updated 11/2020
Source : https://www.udemy.com/course/punctuation-novice-to-pro/